Always a fast paced carnival where swimmers barely have enough time to race, see their coach, swim down and are back in the marshalling area on time. I must thank our swimmers on the professionalism throughout the meet; warming up as a team, strong racing and their consistent swim downs. Some simple statistics from the day are:
• 139 individual races that Abbotsleigh athletes competed in
• 2 relay teams
• 97 personal best times swum
• 34 medals
• 1 Happy assistant Coach
Special mentions to:
• Felicity smith: every time ‘flic’ dove into that water she came out with a PB. Her largest being a 19 second PB in her 100 freestyle.
• Claudia Fydler: Consistent effort in training shows off when it comes time to racing.
• Bailey Strachen, Claudia Freeman, Emma Fontanot, Eden Timms & Sierra Timms for competing in their first proper long course meet under the Abbotsleigh A.
• To all our 100m butterfly swimmers. Some very strong performances especially for Sam Druce; well-done mate first State Qualifying time and Jayath Gunawardena on his very first 100m butterfly race which he competed in without any fear.
A strong carnival by all our swimmers, one critique from a coaching perspective is as a team our turns, underwater work and breakouts were not to the standards we have been training at. Consistent application during training shows when racing!